George’s Early Days
Many have come and gone, but George’s is still here, for 80 years and counting. The original building, consisting of the bar area with a small kitchen in back, began in 1930 as “Harry B’s,” named after owner Harry
George Betros bought Harry B’s in 1966 and changed the name to “George’s.” It was at this time that our most famous drink, the “Big O™,” received its name. A waitress by the name of Lucille Brown called them Big Oranges, the rest of the staff shortened it to “Big O™,” and it stuck!
Sammy has placed George’s at the top of the Central Texas catering list. He and his staff have catered all over the state and been recognized by governors, senators
In 1992, Sammy A. Citrano III was the managing partner at the Elite Cafe and Health Camp on the circle. As friendly competitors, Sammy became familiar with the “George’s” name and the economics of running local restaurants. In November 1993, Sammy was handed
Sammy was honored in 1998 as a recipient of the Greater Waco Chamber Outstanding Business Award. After Baylor became a contender in the Big XII, George’s pushed forward even more by creating “The Party Zone!” for game fans. George’s Big”O” tent continues is the hottest gathering outside of McLane Stadium for the coldest beverages around, during all Baylor home games. The new Party Zone location is at 1314 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. In 2016, George’s is celebrating 20 years of bringing the Party Zone to Baylor fans!
Texas songwriter Pat Green has captured the history of George’s in his original song, George’s Bar and his new hit Collage (and thanking Georges Bar for all the classes that he missed) and he is definitely the most popular vocalist in our jukebox! We are proud to have George’s as part of a Waco and Baylor tradition.